Lots of gardeners who live in Western states have been waiting several years for the latest update in the Western Garden Book from Sunset , and it's finally here. And, for the first time, it includes entries for gardeners in Alaska, Hawaii, and Western Canada.
This 8th edition has 8000 plant listings, all keyed to climate zones, more photos and larger illustrations. Noted garden experts from each region offer special advice and commentary, and it has lots of info on plant selection and care.
It also lists the "Top Ten" new gardening trends. Among them:
- Secret gardens and serene spaces filled with scented plants, water features, "eye candy," and comfortable furniture.
- Smaller gardens
- Colorful containers made of aluminum, fiberglass & other materials
- Painted walls, sculpture, outdoor pillows, fireplaces and kitchens
- Use of "green" materials such as recycled wood and concrete
- Simple and streamlined garden designs
If you liked the last edition, you'll likely want this one as well.
Edited by Katherine Brenzel, the long-time gardening editor for Sunset Magazine.
(click on image to purchase book)