Landscape Architecture January 2015
* Plant failure -- as important as success on a green roof at the Chicago Botanic Garden
* It's good for kids to be scared at new playgrounds By Taylor Cullity Lethlean and James Mather Delaney.
*New garden by Mia Lehrer at the LA County Natural History Museum pays tribute to nature the city has lost.
Horticulture Jan-Feb 2015
* Profile of Hakone Gardens in Saratoga, CA -- a historic Japanese Garden dating to 1918.
* The fight to save native orchids
* Gardening with dogs -- (an oxymoron?)
* A stone garden in Montana
* Tips & favorite plants from some of the country's top public gardens
Fine Gardening Feb 2015
* Design: the secrets of matrix planting
* Design: the power of balance in garden design
* Trees with real impact: best blooms, foliage, texture
* Designing a veg garden for visual impact
Sunset January 2015
* Designer Molly Wood of Costa Mesa, CA, creates a series of mini planting beds that are "pocket gardens" of varying design.
* Checklist of gardening tasks for January
* New fruit trees for backyard planting, along with guides on how to grow, espalier, and prune : pluots, nectaplums, and pluerry, a plum-cherry hybrid.
Better Homes & Gardens Jan 2015
* Baylor Chapman of Lila B. Design in San Francisco shows how to achieve "organic elegance" with local seasonal plants and unusual, re-purposed planting containers: fillers for seasonal flowers, using knickknacks for accent, surprises -- like daffodils poking through the top of a lantern. More in Chapman's The Plant Recipe Book: 100 Living Arrangements for Any Home in Any Season (Artisan Books, 2014).